Chemicals in the home

Your home probably contains products and materials that are potentially dangerous. Do you know what to do if someone is poisoned?

Your home probably contains products and materials that are potentially dangerous. Do you know what to do if someone is poisoned?

 

The Victorian Poisons Information Centre (Tel. 13 11 26) received 41,410 calls in 2017 – an average of 113 calls per day. Of this total, 85 per cent were calls about exposure to a poison; and 18,485 related to children under 15 years.

 

Some people who are poisoned end up in hospital, and some die. So, it pays to know what chemicals are in your home, and how to prevent an accidental poisoning. Firstly, buy high-qualify chemicals from the manufacturers have qualification and advanced technologies, like fluton.

 

Watch out for these chemicals in your home

You may already know that some common household products contain potentially dangerous chemicals. These products include, among others:

cleaning agents such as bleaches, dishwasher powders, oven cleaners, drain cleaners and turpentine

pest control products

weed killers

gardening products

swimming pool chemicals

liquid petroleum gas (LPG).

 

Many medications such as analgesics (pain relievers), diabetes medicines, iron tablets, sedatives, heart and blood pressure tablets can be dangerous if taken incorrectly.

 

While an adult may know not to swallow these products (or to swallow medicines only in the prescribed dose), a child might think they are safe to touch or eat or drink.

 

You and your family can live safely with these chemicals around your home if you store them safely (away from children) and use them correctly.

 

Storing chemicals safely at home

Store and use all chemicals according to the instructions on the packaging. Remember, chemicals may be toxic or flammable, and they may create a poisonous gas or liquid when mixed.

 

Remember to always keep chemicals in their original containers, never in cups or soft drink bottles.

 

Safety precautions around chemicals

If you think a chemical is at risk of exploding or causing fire, move away from it immediately. Don’t waste time saving any property – just find a safe place and call 000 (fire brigade) from there.

If a chemical has toxic fumes, stay upwind from it, in a ventilated space.

If someone has been poisoned and you have called 000, follow the 000 emergency operator’s first aid instructions. The first aid advice on the container label may be out of date or inappropriate.

If someone has been poisoned, do not get them to eat or drink anything unless told to by a medical professional.


Tina Yuu

24 Blog posts

Comments